Monday, September 20, 2010

Ham and Cheese Bun


This is also my first time making this bread using a different method, using gelatinized dough by Alex Goh and most recipes in this book"Magic Bread" use this method in his bread making. When i first saw the recipe, i thought this was like the water roux method 汤種but no, it's slightly different. This technique requires to mix the bread and boiling water first till it becomes a dough and then fridge it overnight. So i guess this is the gelatinized dough that he is referring to. Then just mix with the rest of the ingredients the next day. I find that the results from this bread making is also very good, very soft and springy and remains very soft on the 2nd day. I would like to make another batch again soon to see how soft it can lasts. I tried googling on gelatinised dough but couldnt get much information , it's too scientific which i dont really understand. Compared to bread using the water roux method, i think this is very much easier to work with.. no sticky dough, no messy hands but i think the bread using water roux method is much lighter and fluffier. I made one batch using ham and cheese and after realising that i ididnt have enough ham, i just sprinkled the rest with cheese and sugar. One batch of the recipes makes around 16 buns.





Ingredient for Basic Sweet Bread Dough(gelatinized dough)
Ingredients A
100gm bread flour
70gm boiling water

Ingredients B
300gm bread flour
100gm plain flour
80gm sugar
6gm salt
20gm milk powder
9gm instant yeast

Ingredients C
175gm cold water
60gm cold eggs
60gm butter

Filling:
slices of ham
grated cheddar cheese

Method:
1.Add the boiling water from A into flour, mix until well blended to form dough. Cover and set aside to cool and refrigerate it for at least 12 hours.
2.Mix B until well blended. Add in the cold water and eggs and knead to form rough dough.Add in A and knead until well blended
3.Add in butter till form elastic dough.
4. Let it proof for 40 mins ( i let mine proof for almost 1.5hrs )
5.Divide the dough into 60gm each and mould it round. Let it rest for 10mins and flatten it. Place a slice of ham on top. Roll it up and fold into half .Cut the centre and open up. ( or any shape you want )
6. Place onto a greased pan and proof for 45mins. Place some grated cheese, mayonnaise and bake at 190C for 12-15mins.



8 comments:

  1. The bread looks so soft and delish. Sounds like a great recipe to try out one day. I'm going to add this to my "lunch" breads that I will make for my brother one day when I have an extended period of time to make bread. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. esther, thanks for following. yeah,try this method and see if you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice bread! Frankly, I love yeasted bread. I can spend a hundred dollar to purchase breads just in one day when I was in S'pore! So, whenever I passed by any bakery shop I'll stop and check out if anything that I haven't try out yet! haha... However, wishing you a very happy mooncake festival.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lena,

    Just would like to check with you, your Ingredient C has 2 types of butter, or the 175gm is cold water.
    Kindly advise? TQ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi delphine, my error. The 175 gm should be cold water. I've amended the recipe. thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lena,
    You are welcome & thanks for your advise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I crossed over from Zoe's post re gelatinization method. I tried it recently, good and so happy with it, much better than the tangzhong method. Missed ths post of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello cheah, yes, i'm also with pleased with the gelatinisation method, less messy than tangzhong!

    ReplyDelete